We have all heard the phrase “quality over quantity.” In terms of sleep, this adage rings true. Quality sleep, or deep sleep, is more important than how much sleep you get. Learn how Chilisleep and its innovative ‘Cold’ Tech has the potential to improve your deep sleep.
RELATED: What Foods Are Best For Your Health?
What Is Deep Sleep?
Deep sleep is what we need to feel refreshed in the morning. If our deep sleep is disrupted, we feel groggy in the morning. When we sleep, we go through 90-minute cycles alternating between REM and non-REM sleep. Deep sleep comes in the last non-REM cycle. Here is a breakdown of the stages.
- Stage 1: The first stage of Non-REM sleep lasts several minutes as we begin to fall asleep. Our body functions slow down and brain waves slow, and our muscles start to relax.
- Stage 2: The second stage of Non-REM sleep makes up about half of our total sleep cycle. Your body and brain continue to relax, your core temperature starts to drop, and your eye moments now stop.
- Stage 3 & 4: The third and fourth stage is when we experience deep sleep. Our heartbeat, breathing, and brain waves will be at their slowest rate. In this stage, it is difficult to wake up even if there are loud noises. The third stage lasts between 45-90 minutes. As the night goes on, deep sleep stages become shorter.
- Stage 5: In the fifth stage, after roughly 90 minutes of Non-REM sleep, we experience our first REM sleep stage. During this stage, a couple of things happen. Our eyes move rapidly. Our heart rate increases, and we breathe faster. Our limbs may become paralyzed. Also, since our brain activity increases, we experience dreams.
What Are The Benefits?
- Increased glucose metabolism, which supports short term and long term memory and learning
- Increased hormone secretion
- Cell and Energy restoration
- Increased blood supply for muscles
- Enhanced growth and repair of muscle tissues and bones
- Strengthened immune system
How Do You Know If You’re Getting Enough Of It?
An obvious sign that you are not getting enough is that you wake up feeling exhausted. If that’s the case, you have two options to track your sleep. One, a wearable device like a smartwatch, although this may not be reliable. Two, get work with a sleep center to get a polysomnography (PSG) test which measures body movements, brain waves, breathing rate, heart rate, and oxygen levels.
What Happens To Your Body When You Don’t Get Enough Deep Sleep?
If you choose to ignore the fact you don’t get enough deep sleep, there are many negative consequences. Alzheimer’s diseases, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke are linked to a lack of quality sleep. Add study
Tips On How To Increase Deep Sleep
There is plenty of general advice out there to get more deep sleep. Tips include:
- Following a routine schedule.
- Getting plenty of exercise during the day.
- Avoiding caffeine before bed.
- Making your room as dark as possible.
The most overlooked but most important factor that leads to deep sleep is temperature. Deep sleep requires a cooler body temperature.
Chilisleep uses precise science to help both hot and cold sleepers receive deep, restorative sleep every night. Here are three products that can help.
Experience this unique 15lb, hydro-capable cooling weighted blanket designed to deliver restorative, deep sleep. Use the code PEAKHUMAN10 for 10% off chiliBLANKET.
Cube Sleep System
This pioneering system can do it all. It includes a reversible hydro-powered mattress pad, thermal regulating control units, and a remote! Use the code PEAKHUMAN20 for 20% off chiliPAD.
It’s time to take your deep sleep to the next level. This advanced system is equipped with a hydro-powered thermal range of 55-115°F (13-46°C). Plus, it has a reversible hydronic pad and control unit(s). You can connect it to the OOLER app to optimize sleep schedules. Use the code PEAKHUMAN20 for 15% off OOLER.
RELATED: The Scoop On Improving Brain Performance With Binaural Beats
Remember, the quality of sleep trumps the number of sleep hours. It is crucial that the body experiences consistent deep sleep. That way, you can wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. ‘Cold’ Tech like Chilisleep is your opportunity to improve your deep sleep and make the most of each day.
If you have questions about how the use of ‘Cold’ Tech can improve deep sleep, connect with us and learn more.
At Peak Human, our team of healthcare professionals is dedicated to helping you reach your ‘peak’ health with a custom whole-person approach. Using the most cutting-edge, science-backed biohacking and aesthetic tools, technologies, and treatments available today, we help you achieve the highest physical/cognitive performance state, leading to an improved overall quality of life.
For questions or to book an appointment, don’t hesitate to contact us. Get personalized support and insight from expert physicians.